Cannabis-infused topicals are gaining popularity as a source of pain relief for adults with all manner of ailments. Have you ever wondered if they might work for you? To help you decide, here’s a brief overview of what they are and how they work.
- What are topicals? Generally speaking, a topical is any remedy that is designed to be applied to the body. Cannabis-infused topicals take a variety of forms such as balms, oils, salves, and lotions.
- How do they work? We all have within us an endocannabinoid system. Simply put, its job is to mediate communication between cells through naturally occurring compounds called endocannabinoids. THC and CBD (and the other dozens of cannabinoids) imitate these naturally occurring compounds and bind with receptor sites throughout our bodies, resulting in the effects we feel after consuming cannabis. There are two kinds of “receptors” in this system: CB1 receptors are within the brain and produce a euphoric “high” feeling when activated. CB2 receptors are found throughout the body and do not produce that characteristic high associated with smoking cannabis.
- Will they make me high? No, they will not. Topicals don’t enter the bloodstream, they only reach the CB2 receptors located in the skin.
- What are the benefits? Numerous studies have found that cannabinoids reduce inflammation, a common source of muscle and joint pain. Those findings are supported by anecdotal evidence – users of cannabis-infused topicals have reported relief from a variety of ailments like headaches and cramping.
- Where can I find them? At The Green Solution, of course! Check out our inventory of topicals online, including our award-winning NectarBee Muscle Balm. You can even reserve the product you want online and pick it up at the Express Window of your local TGS.