According to the old song, “it’s the most wonderful time of the year!” It’s certainly the most hectic time of the year, with the seemingly endless to-do lists and social obligations that come with the holidays. Luckily, Denver is home to a plethora of fun activities to help keep you jolly during the hustle and bustle. Here are some of our suggestions for enjoying our beautiful city this month.
- Shopping Destinations!
While we recommend getting the bulk of your shopping done at The Green Solution, we know you may need to venture out to at least a couple extra destinations to complete your list. Why not skip the mall and support small local vendors while having a festive time? Here are two handpicked holiday markets that are sure to jingle your bells.
- Denver Christkindl Market: This annual event “powered by the German American Chamber of Commerce” will have you wassailing as you enjoy authentic German cuisine and beverages while perusing artisan-made gifts. The market is located at 1515 Arapahoe Street in Denver (on the 16th Street Mall, across from the Clock Tower), and it’s open daily until December 23rd.
- Union Station Holiday Market by Denver Flea: The Denver Flea returns to Union Station this year for four weekends of holiday shopping. From the website: “Starting on November 23 (Black Friday), 100s of Colorado’s best makers and artisan brands will pack the Plaza of Union Station each weekend for a holiday shopping wonderland in the heart of Mile High, paired with music, eats, drinks and more.”
BONUS: Both markets are just a short jaunt to The Green Solution at 1995 Wewatta St!
Did you know that Denver is reputed to be the first city to employ outdoor holiday lights? The story is that, in 1907, merchants along 16th Street were the first in the nation to put red and green bulbs in streetlights, turning utilitarian illumination festive for the first time. That tradition continues today with extraordinary light displays at two of the city’s most illustrious outdoor destinations.
- Blossoms of Light: Each year, Denver Botanic Gardens becomes a marvelous landscape of lights. From the website: “The Gardens’ signature event for over three decades, this annual holiday lights extravaganza transforms our York Street location into a twinkling winter wonderland. With fresh and exciting new features, along with some fan favorites, this year’s display will be brighter and more expansive than ever before. Join us for this family-friendly event that has become a holiday tradition for thousands of Front Range families.”
- Zoo Lights: If a holiday frolic among large animals is more your thing, you’ll love this. From the website: “Zoo Lights is back for its 28thyear, and sure to be bigger and better than ever! The holiday magic spans across over 70 acres, with more than two million lights, nightly entertainment, sweet treats, animal encounters and a Festival of Lanterns, plus illuminated animal sculptures that swing through trees, jump across lawns, hide in bushes and appear in places where they’re least expected.”
BONUS: Meander over to The Green Solution in Cherry Creek at 4151 E. Kentucky after your visit to either light show…we’re open until 11:45 pm!
- Grown-up Fun!
You’ve finished your shopping, you’ve done the family thing, and now you just want to relax with friends and maybe a drink or two. There’s no reason why grown-up fun should be anything less than festive, too.
- Miracle at Avanti Wolf Bar: It’s here! It’s here! Miracle is a Christmas-themed pop-up bar, and you don’t want to miss it. From the website: “The national seasonal pop-up is known for its over-the-top-festive decor and holiday-themed cocktails, like the Run Run Rudolph and Snowball Old Fashioned. Drinkers can also purchase Miracle’s booze-holding mugs to take home with them, with 10 percent of those proceeds donated to Action Against Hunger.”
- Denver Beer Festivus: It’s a “festivus for the rest of us!” Even if you aren’t a die-hard Seinfeld fan, you’ll enjoy “Denver’s unofficial, official, beer-themed holiday party.” There’ll be pro wrestlers competing in “Feats of Strength,” and you can even “air your grievances” publicly. December 15th at Denver Sports Castle at 1000 Broadway.
BONUS: Stop by The Green Solution in Edgewater near Sloan’s Lake to kick off the shenanigans before visiting either of our “grown-up fun” suggestions. Like our Cherry Creek location, this one’s open until 11:45pm!
Now, get out there and enjoy the holidays, ya crazy kids!